Re: tag for translators?

From: "±Ç¼ø¼±" <kss@kldp.org>
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 07:40:45AM -0500, David Merrill wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 03:03:28PM +0900, ±Ç¼ø¼± wrote:
> > > Not all the people speak English. So translation is a very important
job
> > > and valuable online resource to non-English speaking linuxers. :-)
> >
> > Yes, it is. It's just as valuable as originally writing the document,
> > to speakers of your language.
> >
> > Thanks for bringing this up. Maybe we can even lobby to get a
> > <translator> tag put into DocBook -- it certainly seems appropriate.
>
> Is this possible? If so, this is what we exactly want!!!

Of course it is *possible* but the issue is how it fits into the overall
design and future plans of the DocBook "standard". That decision has to be
made by the DB people. There are people on this list who are involved with
the DB project pretty closely, so you should be able to get a definitive
answer on this if you're just patient for a bit and let your comment get
forwarded to them.

Be aware that even if there is a change to DB itself, that change will not
happen overnight. There is a process involved in making those kinds of
changes, and new versions of DB don't come out weekly. So you still need
to come up with the best alternative in the meanwhile, and hope it will be
replaced someday with a real <translator> tag. Sorry, but that's the
reality.

Let me mention again the fact that we also have no clear way of properly
crediting the person who performs DocBook conversion, either. I use
<othercredit> for myself, which doesn't show up in the output. Not a big
deal for me, but we all know people are more likely to volunteer if they
are properly acknowledged.

We should decide on a recommended approach for crediting translators, by
which I mean both language and source format translators, and document it
in the LAG. So I'll start with a recommendation:

1. Use the <othercredit> tag.
2. Give a mention in the "Acknowledgements" section of the document.
3. Mention in the version statement if appropriate.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

David