Re: tag for translators?

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 07:40:45AM -0500, David Merrill wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 03:03:28PM +0900, ±Ç¼ø¼± wrote:
> > Hello guys...
> > I've been around this mailing list for long time but mostly read-only.
> >
> > But this time I think I should talk something.
> >
> > Before that, let me introduce myself. :-)
> >
> > I am the maintainer of Korean Linux Documentation Project since Ocbober, 1996
> > and coordinated the Korean Translation ever since.
>
> Nice to meet you.
>
> > Yes...English itself is the biggest barrier to most non-Englist linuxers.
> > (including me!! :-)
> > So we Koreans are doing much translations day by day
> > but one thing I've wondering was that why the LDP author guide doesn't
> > have a note for translators.
>
> Well, that's a very good question. I remember talking about
> translation efforts at the LDP summit, and I got the impression that
> the translation efforts were pretty independent projects voluntarily.
> So, I assumed that translators would take care of those kinds of
> issues on their own.

Yes you are right.

> > As for linuxdoc sgml dtd, there is no tag for translators.
> > Hence one guy patched the sgml internally and we are using it.
> > (<trans>, <tdate> tag was added)
> >
> > And these days, we are moving to DocBook format.
> > But the docbookbook doesn't have a tag for translators either.
> > We tried best but we couldn't find a way on how to specify the information
> > of translator because listing the personal name to file is the
> > biggest motivation to volunteer translators.
>
> You're right, there is no special tag for translators, and author
> doesn't really seem right either. When I have done DocBook
> translations (a different kind of translation, yes), I have used the
> <othercredit> tag. This tag does have a downside in that it does not
> appear in the html output, which makes you a kind of silent
> contributor.

That seems not a good way because almost everyone wants his name
displayed outside as translator.
That is one of the biggest joy & motivation of devoting their time. :-)

> I recommend you use the version tags also to indicate that this
> version is the first DocBook version, translated by Joe Blow. I've
> seen a couple of HOWTOs that use this approach. Or, let us know if you
> have any other suggestions.

Hmmm....using version tag seems a good way but I think having a
separate tag for translation effort would be best.

> > Currently, we changed the Norman Walsh's DocBook stylesheet a bit little
> > and using the <editor> tag to specify the translator.
>
> <editor> is not really the right tag, but then again there *is* no
> right tag. So, it's hard to argue against it. :)

Yes..:-)

> > My question is
> > 1. Is there any specific tag in DocBook that was created for translators?
> > 2. If not, how do you(non-English LDP maintainers) make your
> > DocBook sgml source? What is the best way to specify the translator?
> >
> > Not all the people speak English. So translation is a very important job
> > and valuable online resource to non-English speaking linuxers. :-)
>
> Yes, it is. It's just as valuable as originally writing the document,
> to speakers of your language.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up. Maybe we can even lobby to get a
> <translator> tag put into DocBook -- it certainly seems appropriate.

Is this possible? If so, this is what we exactly want!!!

p.s. Is there any non-English speaking volunteer translators or
local LDP maintainters in this mailing list?
If so, please let me know how you process the translator's name.
--
           (o_             ±Ç ¼ø ¼±                      _o)