Distribution HOWTO about to bite the dust.

In the last two weeks I have converted almost all the HOWTOs I
maintain from SGML-Tools to DocBook 4.1, pursuant to the consensus at
the Documentation Summit held in conjunction with the recent O'Reilly
Open Source conference.

I have converted and updated the following:

Installation-HOWTO.sgml
Mail-User-HOWTO.sgml
Reading-List-HOWTO.sgml
Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO.sgml
Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO.sgml
XFree86-HOWTO.sgml
XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO.sgml

I finished and submitted the Reading-List-HOWTO earlier today.

The only HOWTO I'm responsible for that I haven't converted yet is the
Distribution HOWTO.

After considering the matter for some time, I have come to believe
that the Distribution HOWTO is obsolete.  Today, I think the function
it serves would be better filled by a pointer from the META-FAQ and
Installation FAQ to websites which track distributions on a regular
basis (notably the LWN distributions list and the ports page.).

Accordingly, I request the following actions:

1) That the Distribution HOWTO be dropped from the list of active
   HOWTOs.

2) That the META-FAQ be updated to point to LWN's distribution page
   and the ports page).

Of course, if anyone disagrees and wants to continue maintaining the
Distribution HOWTO, that person is welcome to do so.

I'm now one HOWTO short :-).  I see that the META-FAQ hasn't been updated
three years.  Mike, shall I pick it up?
--

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will.
Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact
	-- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857