Re: Feedback: PLIP-Mini-Howto

----- Original Message -----
From: "Armin Herbert" <Armin.Herbert@gmx.net>
To: <ldp-discuss@lists.linuxdoc.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 11:31 PM
Subject: Feedback: PLIP-Mini-Howto

> Hi folks,
>

> I tried to send an email to the author of the PLIP-Howto, Andrea
> Controzzi <controzz@cli.di.unipi.it> regarding a technical question.
>
> "... while talking to mailserver.cli.di.unipi.it.:
> <<< 550 <controzz@cli.di.unipi.it>... User unknown"
>
> :-(
>
> Do you have a new address of Andrea that you could give me? Perhaps it
> also would be good to change it in the howto.

The domain appears to be down?!?

I found his web page, cached by Google, at
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.cli.di.unipi.it/~controzz/intro.h
tml+andrea+controzzi&hl=en

There is a phone number, 050573456, and an address, Via Venezia Giulia
15 - Pisa,
if somebody in Italy wants to try it.

I found a link to his friend's page, and send that person an email. We'll
see if they have a new email address for him.

Luckily, *this* HOWTO appears to allow modifications. It uses a very
vague, old LDPL (I think?) that says:

<begin copyright>
Unless otherwise stated, Linux HOWTO documents are copyrighted by their
respective authors. Linux HOWTO documents may be reproduced and
distributed in whole or in part, in any medium physical or electronic, as
long as this copyright notice is retained on all copies. Commercial
redistribution is allowed and encouraged; however, the author would like
to be notified of any such distributions.

All translations, derivative works, or aggregate works incorporating any
Linux HOWTO documents must be covered under this copyright notice. That
is, you may not produce a derivative work from a HOWTO and impose
additional restrictions on its distribution. Exceptions to these rules may
be granted under certain conditions; please contact the Linux HOWTO
coordinator at the address given below.

In short, we wish to promote dissemination of this information through as
many channels as possible. However, we do wish to retain copyright on the
HOWTO documents, and would like to be notified of any plans to
redistribute the HOWTOs.

If you have questions, please contact Greg Hankins, the Linux HOWTO
coordinator, at linux-howto@sunsite.unc.edu via email.

<end copyright>

As you can see, it doesn't expressly allow modifications, but mentions
derivative works in a way that implies they are allowed.

HTH,

--
David C. Merrill, Ph.D.
Linux Documentation Project