Re: Results from Linux Expo Toronto

Mark Komarinski wrote:

> Well, it was certainly an interesting show - turns out that there were about 10 booths
> there, of which about 1/2 were OSS-related.  My presentation had a total of 5 people
> (ouch!).
>
> Now on to the real problem.  Whomever coordinated a booth for the LDP over at LET
> never wound up getting the booth, and I had to stick a piece of hand-written paper
> reading "LDP" in the booth of the fine folks from the Toronto LUG.  Sounds like
> there may have been some confusion as to who the LET folks should have been talking to.
>
> Pending everyone's approval, I'm going to promote myself to "Event Coordinator" and
> try to make sure this doesn't happen again.  I'll be trying to make it to more events
> in the future anyway (VA seems to be niceer about letting me go to shows than
> my former enployer).  I'll also try and start an "Events-HOWTO" to give ideas on
> booth design, how to present topics at conferences, etc.

Sounds great to me.

I did the same thing. Promoting myself, I mean. In an all-volunteer
group like this, you just have to identify a need and do it. I figure if
anybody doesn't want me to do something, or doesn't like the way I'm
doing it, then they can step up and do it themselves. Lead, follow, or
get out of the way! :)

I *am* somewhat concerned that we actively recruit and encourage new
blood into the volunteer pool. I want to do everything, but I know I
cannot. So I stop myself from volunteering for new projects (e.g., the
LWN project (which still needs an ongoing volunteer! Anybody?)).

--
David C. Merrill, Ph.D.
Linux Documentation Project