Re: Announcing the minimalistic Template

On Oct 31,  9:31am, Edward C. Bailey wrote:
> Subject: Re: Announcing the minimalistic Template
>
> Hal> On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 12:42:37PM +0100, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> >>  Also I hear some recent distributions (Redhat?) no longer include
LDP
> >> archives, is this true??
>
> Hal> Redhat 'basic' is 4 CDs. The documentation is on the 4th CD, but I
> Hal> suspect a lot miss this. When I upgraded, I saw no option for
> Hal> upgrading these packages.
>
> Hello all,
>
>     I hope you don't mind the interruption, but since I'm the person
> responsible for the Red Hat Linux documentation CD, I thought I could
> possibly clarify the situation a bit.
>
>     The Docs CD does contain the LDP archives, in both
directly-browsable
> form, and in RPMs.  This lets people either pop the CD in to get to the
> documentation (if their need is occasional, or free disk space is low),
> or install the documentation on their system for faster access.
>
>     At present, the process of installing (or upgrading) Red Hat Linux
> does not include processing the RPMs on the Docs CD.  This is due to a
> combination of issues, most notably the timing between production of the
> Docs and O/S CDs, and the way in which the installation program
processes
> additional CDs.  We're working on this, but we're not there yet.
>
>     In the meantime, the documentation-related RPMs can be installed
> manually (this process is outlined in the CD's main HTML page).

Ed -

Pls correct me if I'm wrong - I believe the last time I checked the RH
docs CD, only the plain text version of the HOWTOs were included,
and not any of the other variants (HTML, PDF, etc.); true?

Maybe we can assist in helping to come up with a nice package
of the LDP docs for all the various distributions to use? Would
this be worthwhile?

(At SGI I use the single-file HTML variants, filter the
 HOWTO-INDEX somewhat, then apply indexing. I put
 this together for our Tech Pubs Library website.).

r,

Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg at sgi.com
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com/ |
Linux Doc Project - http://www.linuxdoc.org/ | gferg at metalab.unc.edu