Re: Manifesto

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 09:53:24PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 10:51:57PM -0200, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> > In fact, if we had correctly marked up documents, we could generate
> > meta information from it's text. Let's say that it's interesting to
> > index all commands used in some document, so that we could group
> > documents that use some common commands in a group. This information
> > is already there with <command> tags (DocBook).
>
> True, this might be of some interest, but right now one can search for
> commands (if they have options) with: grep "sendmail.*-" *

This works fine if:

 Someone can use grep intelligently. Many who need some of these docs
the most probably can't.

 The string is on one line.

 The string is not some common word like mail, time, clock, etc.

 The docs are accessible locally. IOW, it does not help those who do
all their reading online. For instance, I choose not to install LDP
docs since I have a fulltime connection, and the most current version
is always a click or two away.

There needs to be some kind of searchable index IMO.

--
Hal B
 hal@foobox.net