Re: Publicity via the LWN

From: "Greg Ferguson" <gferg@hoop.timonium.sgi.com>
> On Oct 16,  9:59am, David C. Merrill, Ph.D. wrote:
> > Subject: Publicity via the LWN
> > Hey everybody,
> >
> > Do you think it would be a good idea to do a weekly update to the
> > LWN on additions and enhancements to our documents? I'm thinking
> > about something simple, that would not take a lot of time or effort
> > for somebody to do. For example, compiling the "update" announcements
> > that we get from Greg Ferguson into a single weekly update to be
> > included in the "Development" section of the LWN. A paragraph
> > summarizing other goings-on with the project would be great, too.
> >  Maybe even a "to do" list.
> >
> > This would give us good PR, would let many more people stay up to
> > date, and would let people know about the good work that is going
> > on here. It would even attract more volunteers.
> >
> > Is there somebody that would consider taking this on?
>
> I'm willing to work with someone on this. Stein Gjoen has been
> providing a monthly article to LWN (on behalf of the LDP); perhaps
> he can assist (Stein?) or provide us with contacts at LWN to work
> with.

Come on, people, there's gotta be somebody with a few hours per month to do
this. The job consists of:

1. Subscribe to the ldp-announce list.
2. Compile the announcements that list sends into a monthly list. (Greg, is
there an easier way? An automated way? I don't know how the announcements
are generated.) I see this list looking like:

Linux Documentation Project
October 2000 Updates

New HOWTOs:
  foo-HOWTO
  bar-HOWTO

Updated HOWTOs:
  baz-HOWTO
  gonkulator-HOWTO

Some text saying who we are, with a link to our page, a link to our todo
page, and whatever else we decide is worth saying about us.

3. Receive updates from others. I will give you one each month with an
update on my work. Perhaps Guylhem, Ferg, Poet and/or others will do so from
time to time.
4. Send the list to the LWN. They will probably print only a single sentence
 or paragraph with a link to the full list, as they do with the kernel todo
list.
5. This should also be posted to our home page, I think, as a monthly news
item.

We really need to maintain a public presence, so people see us as an active
project. By maintaining such a presence, the person who does this job could
very well attract several or even many additional volunteers, so it is very
important.

Regards,

--
David C. Merrill, Ph.D.