Re: Making It Easy For New Authors (was Re: Style Guide)

David Lawyer <dave@lafn.org> writes:

 > On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 02:34:27PM -0400, Harvey J. Stein wrote:
 > > It's fine to have a preferred format (or formats).  But I think
 > > the "acceptable" formats list should be *much* larger, and should
 > > include plain text.
 >
 > The trouble is that if a distribution includes the only the html
 > version, then people who get that would miss out on HOWTOs which are
 > only in plain text.  Thus if we accept plain text it should be
 > provisional acceptance with the intention of converting it to sgml
 > (either LinuxDoc or DocBook).  One can try that now and hope that
 > someone will promtly do the conversion

Or we could do some quick, trivial HTML markup of the plain text
HowTos into HTML.  Or we stop confusing distributors by claiming that
they can pick up all the HowTos in any format.  Don't have an HTML
tree, a plain text tree, an SGML tree, etc.  Have a "brower" tree, a
"printing" tree, & a "source" tree.  Each tree points to each doc in
the format most appropriate for the stated purpose.  For a plain text
doc, all three trees point to the plain text version.  For linuxdoc
it'd probably be html/ps/sgml, etc.

--
Harvey Stein
Bloomberg LP