Re: Information on the history of jade and openjade

Hi.

In <025836EFF856D411A6660090272811E61D0762@EMAIL>,
  on Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:47:47 -0700,
 Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu> wrote:

> > I'm getting into the differences between jade and openjade
> > and am running into a bit of a block of why they're being developed
> > separately.  If anyone has information about how these two are
> > related (or not), I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> Jade isn't being developed at all.  OpenJade is a free implementation and
> extension of Jade.  Well, that's the story that I've gotten anyway.

me, too.  I know "James Clark's Home Page" (http://www.jclark.com/)
does not say anything about this, but Adam wrote on debian-devel list:

  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-9906/msg01851.html>

 ===
Practically, most of the problems with actually dealing with Jade boil
down to learning curve (a lot of people are learning SGML or XML at
the same time), or problems with the backends.  Jade backends are not
always what they might be.  The Jade maintainer has effectively
shifted jade onto his back-burner.  However, a "fork" of Jade called
OpenJade is emerging, which collects improvements in the DSSSL
standard implementation and much better internals documentation.
Hopefully some problems with backends (esp. TeX, maybe also new
backends like HTMLv4, ROFF, PDF?)
 ===

  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-9907/msg02045.html>

 ===
OpenJade is just a fork of Jade from James Clark, blessed by James.
Regarding Jade, James hasn't orphaned it upstream, but he has
publically stated that he believes that SGML and DSSSL are dead-ends.
OpenJade is an effort by a group of people who either don't agree or
don't care.  They are adding features and functionality to Jade.
 ===

So, the author of jade prefers XML and won't extend the SGML and
DSSSL support in jade, maybe.

 (Hmm, very hard to find, since our (Debian's) mailing list search
  function does not work well recently.  But this problem will be
  solved in the near future.)

Well, you can find a search engine for DSSSList at
  <http://www.mulberrytech.com/private-bin/dssslist-search.cgi>,
and there you will see some mails about this.  I did find some
ones in 1999 with "dead end" as a keyword.

> > Also, it looks like OpenJade is being split into OpenJade and
> > OpenSP, with OpenSP doing the validation and leaving OpenJade
> > to do the actual 'rendering' into the various output formats.  Is
> > this correct?

I think he has started sgmls, the ancestor of nsgmls and sp.
Then he created jade.  jade uses sp, so the source archive of jade
includes sp.

 http://www.jclark.com/ also provides the SP and Jade separately,
 though source archive of jade includes the compatible version of SP.

See <http://www.jclark.com/jade/>:

 ===
Getting Jade

If you're using Windows 95 or Windows NT, then you all you need is in the
binary distribution.

Otherwise you will need to build it yourself from source. The Jade sources are
available in two forms:

Windows distribution
(snip)

Unix distribution
    This is a gzipped, tar file. The sources use LF delimited lines. Unpack
    this using gunzip and tar.

The distributions include the sources for a compatible version of SP (which may
be different from the latest released version of SP).
 ===

So I think the openjade people just use the way of the original author.
My local copy of openjade-1.3 does have the source for opensp.

Regards.
--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>