Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: Linux Development Platform Specification 1.0-beta
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:12:51 -0700
From: Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@transmeta.com>
To: quinlan@transmeta.com

The Free Standards Group is pleased to announce the 1.0-beta release of
the Linux Development Platform Specification (LDPS).  After a two week
public review of LDPS 1.0-beta, we will release LDPS 1.0.  The LDPS is
located at:

  http://www.freestandards.org/ldps/

The LDPS is designed so that programs developed on a conforming platform
are expected to be portable to all generally available Linux
distributions as of July 22, 2000.  We recommend that all independent
software developers create binary versions of their applications using
distributions conforming to the LDPS.

In other words, the LDPS isn't intended to be a standard which tells
distributions what to do.  Rather, it's a recommendation to third-party
developers about how they can create binaries that are likeliest to be
portable.

A companion committee (the Linux Standard Base) under the Free Standards
Group is developing a complete standard for cross-distribution
development of applications that will supersede this interim
specification.  If the superseding specification is not available by
December 31, 2000, the LDPS will be updated by that date.

Contributors to the LDPS include:

    Wichert Akkerman
    Stuart Anderson
    H. Peter Anvin