Re: First pass for LDP-Author-Guide

I'm just reading your work. First I think this work must be done and that
you make a very valuable effort. Don't take any remark for a flame. I'm
not fluent in english but want only to help.

I use linuxdoc now for 2 years and never manage to make docbook run nicely
on my PC (may be soon done!).

SGML is not XML

this paragraph is for me a perfect nonsense (it doesn't mean anything). I
heard about XML for now more than one year and never understand exactly
what it is :-)

some time I see it as a data base format, sometimes as a document one.
Only sure it is text and tags. what else?

"A catalogue is a text file containing the translation rules of the
public identifier to system's files."

this (chap 5, creating and modifying catalog) is a perfect example of what
should not be done. what is the public identifier?

please fine tune the words and langage. HOWTO users are frequently not data
processing aware

what I mean is that trying to explain a difficult word by a more difficult
one is bad.  say, f.e.
a catalog is a text file. (this I understand : I can read it with vi)
In that file are translation rules, that is explainations of how the tags
of the source file will be uses to make paragraphs or titles # is it
right?
I still don't know what is the public identifier to system file ?

if, after reading the few example, the pretending author always prentends
to use docbook, he's VERY courageous...

For New Authors

this paragraph is very confusing. It seems to say that  "you may write
your documentation in the format of your choice"

and

"another LDP volunteer will translate your document into DocBook"

I don't think this is the "normal" subscription method. anyway I will
probably very difficult to to this txt to docbook translation (if not, why
discuss about docbook!)

jade & co

this paragraph is horrible.

think as you where a very beginner (as of docbook, of course). how can you
make a choice between jade and openjade?

we absolutely need a ONE SOURCE rpm (or tgz) that install all this stuff
in one step.

"this is the successor to the sgmltools projec"

what is the interest of saying this ? oldtimers knows this already and
beginners don't have to.

I think it would be a VERY goog idea to write an LDP-history-guide (on the
Internet all is too soon forgotten), but not here.

please, choose betxeen cygnus and sgml_lite, how can I do that ? or at a
minimum say: beginners, do that, others lurk by that

I stop reading this and download the recommended book (but still in
english, I know many people that dont like hundred page's english books.

just a word : what about non english writers? you propose help for
translating from txt to docbook, what about translating from - says -
french to english? may be valuables authors don't speak english...

 --
<http://www.dodin.net> <mailto:jdanield@dodin.net>
QUI EST CET HOMME ? Aidez-moi à le retrouver