Re: Unidentified subject!

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Mark Allen wrote:

> I am trying to convert a recently written "Linux
> User's Guide" to the Docbook format, from HTML format,
> for submission to the LDP.

Good on yer.  That's what the LDP needs -- less yak, more gnu.

>  but the sgml2html
> program did not recognize several of the tags
> including PARA

At the risk of starting a flame-war, I would (personally) advise you to
rigorously eschew *anything* beginning "sgml2..."
(This is because sgml is a generic term, but is currently being used by
some in the LDP world to variously refer to specific instances
of SGML markup, such as debiandoc, linuxdoc, qwertzy -- I've lost track.
BEST AVOID IT.)
Look for something called "db2html"; or "docbook2html".
(i..e. *specific*, not generic)

> A.  Do I need a more recent version of sgml2html?

Yes, if it doesn't cope with DocBook markup. [but see above]
Better still -- replace it with something having a more sensible name,
that does what you want.

> B.  Are there several varieties of SGML documentation?

Yes.  Oh, yes.

>  If so, how many ...

...potentially infinite;

> and where is this documented?

...go to www.google.com and enter SGML as your search term.
(Big questions engender big answers :)

> I am also interested in determining and documenting a
> method that can be used by Linux authors, and other
> authors in various technical fields, to write
> technical documentation.

Welcome to the LDP.
Would you like to start documenting DocBook methods straight away?
This group needs it.

>  If a documented method can
> be established for all writers to have enough "ease of
> use" with Docbook I would be willing to work with
> various individuals and organizations such as the LDP
> and OASIS to try to make it a standard for the
> industry as much as is practical.

Difficult.  But go ahead, certainly.  Various industries, large
publishers, medical organisations, the military, etc. have long had
their own DTDs specifically written for them, to cover their own
specific tech-doc requirements, and are unlikely to change.
Competent tech-doc writers just learn a new DTD, rather than try to
persuade all employers to dance to the same tune.

msw
--
Martin Wheeler         -         StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
[1] mwheeler@startext.co.uk                      http://www.startext.co.uk/