Re: Authorship

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 11:36:22AM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> [...]

What I mean is something like LinuxDoc where one doesn't need tags to
mark the start and end of paragraphs nor to designate a <Title> after
say <Sect1>.  You just use double spacing to separate paragraphs and
anything after say <sect1> is a section title by default (as in
LinuxDoc).  LinuxDoc avoids the complex nested structures of DocBook.
Perhaps one can't really make DocBook nearly as simple as LinuxDoc.
If so, then I think that LinuxDoc needs to be retained for a long time
until something better comes along.

> What do you think is better about example.sgml than template.sgml?

For one, template.sgml is 5 times as long as example.sgml.  BTW I
think that example.sgml could be improved upon and I once started to
try doing it but didn't finish.  example.sgml tells you to print out
the sgml source since some people will be reading a formatted
rendition.  It also tells one that macros (should be tags?) are
enclosed in angle brackets.  The "license" currently in template.sgml
is not really a license.  template.sgml fails to explain enough about
the various tags but talks mostly about what the author thinks the
content of a HOWTO should include.  This distracts from the main
purpose of learning LinuxDoc.

I think that much of the content of template.sgml is good but belongs
in another document (namely the HOWTO-HOWTO).  Thus I think what we
need is a major revision on example.sgml.  So if I find time I'll
continue my work on revising example.sgml (Only about 10% of the task
is completed so far).

			David Lawyer