Re: [OT] OpenSource Documentation Fund

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 08:23:31AM -0700, Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:
> For Immediate Release:
>
> OpenDocs Publishing announces: The Open Source Documentation Fund.
[snip]
> http://www.linuxcentral.com. Every time somebody purchases the book
[the book consists of LDP docs]
> Administrating Linux: The Basics OpenDocs will place 3.00-5.00 USD
> into the fund.

The problem here is that someone else can publish LDP docs, not pay
authors anything, and then undersell whoever does pay them.  As
electronic media (distribution via the Internet and CDs) becomes
predominant, this publishing scheme loses it's significance.  It also
saves paper and trees.

Thus I think we need other methods of funding.  Governments and
charitable organizations could be one source.  Another is to ask for
donations from users of Linux, especially ones who have gotten it
free by downloading or using someone else's CD.

			David Lawyer