Re: if SGML is so great...

Greg Ferguson wrote:

> > > Interesting. How is it rendered, or is it at all?
> > >
> > > More importantly, where can I look to find out myself where
> > > the tags are described without wading through masses of
> > > incomprehensible datafiles?
> >
> > http://www.docbook.org/  The last part of DocBook: TDG is a
> > comprehensive listing of all of the DocBook tags, with descriptions,
> > examples, and some incomprehensible datafile stuff, which I usually
> > ignore.  I've considered buying the book, but it's FAR more useful
> > online than it would be a a desk reference for me.
> >       Greg

These details should go into a doc for authors, perhaps the
HOWTO-HOWTO. I do not have continuous access to the Internet
to look up these things so an on-disk reference would be
handy. From what I hear from others I am not alone in this
situation.

> There is also a tag-quick-reference table that Norm (Walsh, author of
> DocBook: TDG) and Leonard Muellner put together...
>
>         DocBook V3.1 Quick Reference
>         http://www.nwalsh.com/docbook/defguide/qr/quickref.htm
>
> lists <tag> and <brief description> only; but quite handy for
> quick look-ups.

I have the feeling this is DocBook DTD as opposed to the
LinuxDoc DTD, am I right? If so I'd like a similar reference
guide for the LinuxDoc DTD. Last night I took a long hard look
in the docs for SGMLTools and did not find what I needed there.

Finally there is no <manpage> like tag in the mapping nor in the
above mentioned references. A HOWTO reference tag would also be
nice.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen