Re: NetHelp for HOWTOs

Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Stein Gjoen wrote:

> > Disadvantage
> > - requires javascript to run
> > - requires java to compile and make the help package
> > - requires 2 extra tags for making table of contents as well as indexing
> > - uses a slightly odd structure, such as no text under <h1> tags.
> > ------ end -----
>
> You forgot the biggest disadvantage: PROPRIETARY!

All the templates, javascrips and java programs are open
so I suspect that some kind of porting would be possible.
Looking at Mozilla I find they too have NetHelp support
so the (semi-?) proprietariness doesn't worry me that much.

Looking at the Netscape NetHelp web pages I see they
have a buzz page for hot news. It has been dead since 1997
which worries me more. I'll try to contact them to see if
they have better tools, as they have promised, and perhaps
in return showcase a NetHelp styled HOWTO.

This might be a good time to inform you all that I
put up a few screen shots on my home page:
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/home.html
specifically
contents mode:	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/nethelp.png
index mode:	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/nethelpi.png

So even if you cannot install it yourself you should get
a good idea how this works.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen