sgmltools & docbook

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 08:08:20AM +0100, Cees de Groot wrote:

> kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp said:
> > I have heard that the project has stopped the support for this old
> > branch (v1) and has been concentrated in the development of current
> > branch (v2, current is 2.0.2).
>
> Worse, the whole project has stopped (the original maintainer - I - stepped
> down, see the website, and nobody took over yet). Neither v1 nor v2 are
> currently being maintained, and if there's still an active need for v1 because
> the LDP keeps lingering at this old stuff, somebody should pick up maintenance.
>
> I would still strongly recommend the LDP to finally make the transition from
> Linuxdoc to DocBook, and invest into that than into something that's really a
> dead end.

I like the linux-doc sgml-tools stuff. I was able to learn it and start using
it very rapidly. DocBook on the other hand looks like a complicated nightmare.
I'm not a big time Linux author, but I sometimes like to write things up nicely
so others can use them.

If you are serious enough about it to write a book, then DocBook shouldn't be
an obstacle. But making it hard for would-be authors might mean that less
people write down and share what they know.

GregO

--
learning@TasLUG, where people get together and
learn about Linux http://learning.taslug.org.au