Re: free vs. non-free debate

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 06:57:34PM -0700, Vern Hoxie wrote:
> Please note in your signature that this is the "Linux Documentation
> Project".  It is not the "GNU Documentation Project" nor is it the
> "Debian Documentation Project".

It is the name we give it : "Linux Documentation Project"

We could call it "Jack'o Lantern Documentation Project" but it might not
be very clear :-)

> Also note that this a "documentation" project.  It does not infer that
> the software under discussion must come from any single source.  The
> project pretends to be an aid to users of the Linux kernel, so why all
> the furor over what ever the source of the software?

I have no problem with the source of the software as long as it is free.
But this is my own opinion.

A majority wants documentation covering commercial software?

We'll provide it, it's that simple.

We're not here for our own goals, but to 'serve' the majority of the
authors.

> This appears to be another example of the hypocrisy of "liberal"
> politicians.  They make a lot of noise about how much they care about
> others as long as the others comply to their selfish pursuits.

I'm like this (european "liberal democrat", but attention, it is approx.
the equivalent of a US republican without religious lobby)

I don't care about the others while I'm free.

They can do whatever they want if, very selfish indeed, I'm free to do
what I want too.

The selfish pursuit is keeping freedom for each citizen (ain't that
awful?)

But tell me, why hell are you bringing political opinions in this
discussion?

> Believe me, this project is inundated with politicians and few
> contributors.

Beg your pardon, I don't beleive you here.

Each author is working a lot, with >1 howto in many cases.

--
Guylhem Aznar, Linux Documentation Project: http://www.linuxdoc.org
PGP key: http://oeil.qc.ca/~guylhem ; Email: guylhem \@/ oeil.qc.ca