Re: Informal survey (was Re: Banner ads)

    G> We must tell people where they can find good quality and free
    G> documentation.

I hate to state the obvious, but this is a non-issue.

Every Linux CD, every Linux portal site, and every chapter of every
book I have written or reviewed for MCP (and I assume all of the other
books from all the other publishers as well) *all* end their work and
almost every chapter with "for more information, visit the LDP" complete
with the website, and usually with a few reprinted papers or docs bundled
on the accompanying CD.

LDP visibility is not an issue.

On the other side of the debate, it is my understanding that Debian
members were funded to attend Linux Expo in Raleigh last spring; I am
not certain *why* the LDP should need to be anywhere to do anything
in relation to ORA or MCP or IDG or even the FBI and the BBC ;) but
there is nothing intrisically wrong with the LDP having the budget
to do so and amassing that budget through corporate sponsorships.

We could go to LI for the money, but really, where does the LI get
*its* money?  I don't think they sell cookies.

What I *would* endorse and support is sending LDP people places to
present original papers on how to make cohesive sense and timely
release of free technical documentation into a workable reality.
*That* is a necessary and worthy endeavor and well worth putting
someone up in a hotel for the good of World Domination.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@linux.ca>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
TCI - Business Innovations through Open Source : http://www.teledyn.com